Devon M. L. Black
Devon’s approach to law is centered on her clients’ needs, whether in finding personalized and realistic solutions for disputes or in helping clients avoid legal pitfalls as they plan their family relationships. She understands that often, the best solutions to legal problems are reached out of court – but that sometimes, litigation is necessary. Devon has represented clients at all levels of court in British Columbia, and will advocate strongly for you at every stage of your case.
Devon’s areas of practice include general civil litigation, wills and estates, and family law. She strengthened her legal skills through work at the University of Victoria Law Centre, and through co-op terms with a non-profit legal advocacy program in Vancouver and with law firms in Malaysia and Thailand. Before becoming a lawyer, she worked as a reporter and columnist at iPolitics. Devon is also fluent in French.
When not in the office, Devon can be found competing and performing with the Seaside Swing dance team and browsing her favourite book stores downtown.
- Civil Litigation
- Creditors’ Remedies
- Estate Litigation
- Family Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Wills, Trusts & Incapacity Planning
- Bachelor of Social Sciences (Honours) in International Development and Globalization, University of Ottawa (2010)
- Law Degree (Juris Doctor), University of Victoria (2014)
Call to the Bar
- British Columbia Bar, 2016
- Secretary, Victoria Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
- Secretary, Board of Directors, Island Sexual Health Society
- Member, Community Philanthropic Advisory Council, United Way Greater Victoria
- Secretary and Financial Officer, Federal Riding Association
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Swing Dance Association of Victoria (past)
- Top team and 2nd place oralist, Wilson Moot (2014)
- University of Victoria Law Co-op Student of the Year (2013-2014)
- University of Victoria Oyen Wiggs Green & Mutala Prize in Intellectual Property (2012-2013)